Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Film Scoring Course

I am into the 4th week of my online college course with Berklee, Music Composition for Film and TV.  It is cool to see how far I've progressed in such a short time.

The first week we were learning some general stuff about film scoring, watching film clips, analyzing the underlying emotion, figuring out where there should be music or just silence.  Our assignment was to score the trailer to the movie Troy.

The second week was focused on romantic and positive ballads.  We learned about the orchestration, melody and harmony specific to that kind of scene.  Our assignment was to score a romantic scene from Sense and Sensibility.  Oh!  I must warn you that the music starts after 24 seconds of silence (that is when the music was supposed to start in the scene.) I'll try to fix that later.

Third week we worked on sad ballads which are very similar to romantic ballads (as far as orchestration goes) but tend to hang out in minor keys.  Assignment was to score a scene from Ahkeela and the Bee.  I was worried I wasn't going to come up with anything for this score, having started from scratch three times.  But on the day the assignment was due I started with a blank slate once again and in a few hours of inspiration I ended up with my best orchestration yet.

This week we are working on action scenes which includes a lot of rhythm and dissonance study.  Our assignment is to score a clip from Iron Man.  It looks like a fun one!

Here is the music!


Clayton

No comments:

Post a Comment