Friday, October 19, 2012

Sampled Violin

An exciting moment!  I made my first sampled instrument.  A violin no less (never seen a free one of those out on the net)!



I had a friend play each legato note on the violin first quite, medium then loud and compiled the recorded notes into a program (Kontakt) and can now play those sounds on my electric keyboard.  It is a rough experiment but it only took like 30 minutes and I am sure if I spent a little more time I could get something usable.  What is amazing is that barely anybody knows how easy it is to make your own sample library.  People spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on instrument sample libraries. (Some of the best are $10,000 dollars!)  This whole endeavor was actually inspired by Hans Zimmer who said in an interview that it was easy to make your sample library and he was surprised more people didn't do it.

It just occurred to me that since you have to buy the Kontakt sample library in order to be able to make your own samples, then most people don't bother making their own having already bought a high quality, professional instrument library.  I used to be one of those people scrounging the internet for free, homemade instruments.  There wasn't much out there but maybe I can change that...

 Clayton

No comments:

Post a Comment