Saturday, December 1, 2012

Piano and Poetry


Last night I collaborated with the wonderful poet, Elizabeth Garber, improvising on the piano as she read her poetry.  We organized the event as a fundraiser for Mary Weaver's children's theater.  I have acted at the Playhouse for many years and was happy to have a chance to support her.

The collaborative experience was quite successful.  I have never played so well, the poetry inspired melodies streaming from my fingertips like rain in a summer downpour.  I was aware of every note, my brain somehow working faster than usual, allowing me to place each finger exactly where I wanted it with the perfect touch.  What causes this inspiration?  It is not something I can force.  When I push record my mindset shifts and mistakes work their way into my fingers, my mind clogs up with trying to play well.  I wonder if it is something you could master through meditation; easing into the right mindset with breath and awareness.... I'm going to go try that right now.... Hm, interesting.  I had some success however I shall need to try a few more times to make sure that I don't just happen to be in the right space already.

A big factor is change.  If I play on a new piano or in a different setting I am usually filled with inspiration.  If I stop playing for a while and then start again I feel like I have improved as a musician.  When I was in Ecuador and could only infrequently touch a piano I played like I never had before. 

The other big factor is, I believe a large reason for my attraction to film scoring.  My best pieces come out when meshed with a story, either in my head, on the screen, or in a poem.  Still one of my best musical experiences was at the teen meditation retreat; improvising on my keyboard as a young film director enthusiastically narrated a cinematic tale while a crowd of onlookers added in details and cheered us on.

I have more videos from the Poetry event on You Tube which you can find if you follow this here link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcjQPd87YMg&feature=plcp

Best,
Clayton

No comments:

Post a Comment