Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Successful Day

I have been having such a wonderful day and I realized it was a perfect opportunity to give my blog some attention.
I started out the day by getting some letters posted in the mail which I had been putting off for no reason. I printed out the three musical scores I already submitted to the Berklee Writing and Composition Scholarship and I burned a CD of the music to drop off at my piano teachers house.  Then I hopped on my bike and delivered the letters to the post office (one was heading to a friend in Ecuador), the scores to Mary Anne's and stopped by the Co.op to hang up a new poster for my concert on the 9th.  I also talked to Sheryl and she agreed to sell my Album there.  In my confidence I was ready to hit every store in Belfast that might be willing to sell my CD but I only had one copy with me so I gave it to Coyote Moon and left for home.

On the way home my head was swirling with inspiration and I stopped a few times, pulling out a notebook, and writing most of the first draft of my college admissions essay (a process I have long been dreading).

When I got home I lay on the couch and read a fantasy novel.  This was a calculated step as I have not been reading enough lately and with all my inspiration that morning I didn't want to push myself too hard as I have a tendency to do and loose my productive streak.

My two hour piano practice was focused and productive.  I could see huge improvements in my playing since last week.  I was also inspired and wrote down a few melody lines I came up with and started an orchestration in Cubase which I will probably never finish.

Checking facebook I discover that the filmmaker I have been working with, Jon Cunningham, has recommended me to a conductor looking to work with young composers.  I have no idea where this might lead but I contacted her and am super excited to hear back.  I also told Jon about the film class I am teaching and suggested we teach some classes together this winter.  I can't express how excited I would be to be collaborating in teaching film.  Film is my hidden passion and teaching has been my excuse to work on a film project that I might otherwise not make the time for.

I have a bunch of gigs lined up for November.  I am working hard on my Berklee audition piece and I'm looking forward to playing Ultimate (indoors, now) and more contra dancing.

Anyway, that is it for now.
Things are shaping up for my music career it seems.
Best,
Clayton

No comments:

Post a Comment