Sunday, June 24, 2012

Fiddle Camp

I just got back from a solid week of music at Fiddle Camp.  I have taken piano there in past years on and off, learning accompaniment styles for playing with fiddle tunes, but this is the first year I began implementing that knowledge.  Throughout the week I played for contra dances and jam sessions and really enjoyed it.  I am capable of playing upbeat piano (as opposed to my usual relaxing new-age style)! I have decided on pursuing fiddle accompaniment out side of Fiddle Camp and have already gone to a jam with the Belfast Bay Fiddlers.  I learned so much awesome Cape Breton tricks from Neal Pearlman last year to spruce up boring chord progressions but most of them I have forgotten both because I never used them after Fiddle Camp and because I wasn't at a level where I could comfortably slip them in.  I haven't gotten bored enough of the normal chords yet but I'm working on it.

I also did a bunch of improvisation and composition stuff on my own and with other musicians.  Unfortunately I forgot my recording device in the pocket of a pair of pants I changed out of right before leaving for Fiddle Camp so I didn't get any recordings.

Here are a couple recordings from last year:



Best,
Clayton

No comments:

Post a Comment